The Athens University of Economics and Business was founded in 1920 as the Higher School of Commercial Studies. The statute and initial curriculum were established with input from Georges Paillard, Professor at the University of Lausanne, invited by Prime Minister Eleftherios Venizelos to provide his expertise. In the 100 years of its existence, the school has evolved considerably, in terms of organisation as well as curriculum. In 1926, the School was renamed Higher School of Economics and Business (ASOEE). In 1955, the duration of studies was extended from three to four years, and senior students were given two majors to choose from: economics or business, while a postgraduate programme, Greece’s first, was launched by the School’s Economics Department in 1978. In 1989, the institution took its current name, Athens University of Economics and Business (AUEB). Over the years, the institution has produced significant eminent economists. Today, with eight departments organised into three schools (Economic Sciences, Business, Information Sciences and Technology), the University strives to provide excellence in education, while also promoting research and knowledge in its academic areas.